Wednesday, August 13, 2014

2 Wedding Quilts - one Done, one WIP

My WIP list has included a June wedding quilt and August wedding quilt for a very long time in anticipation of the marriage of two of  my nieces.  Long engagements and no excuses, I got really close to making deadline on both. 

Quite a bit has been shown of Chain+Link (final 2014 FALQ3 GOAL and finish linky party here), a wedding quilt I started at a retreat in March for my niece who was married in June in Hawaii (aqua/teal ocean and golden sunset themed).  We weren't able to attend but fortunately giving them the gift in person happened weekend before last thanks to a fabulous gathering of family at my other niece's wedding.  One done.  
top:Redwood Grove top - August wedding quilt, bottom: June wedding quilt
Late night FMQ
Scrappy-scrappy binding makes me happy
As for my WIP, I'm super excited to finally share the progress of the second wedding quilt that's been in the works, Redwood Grove.   The bride-to-be may or may not read my blog on occasion so I didn't want to risk the reveal.   
Pairing fabrics - my favorite to do.
There was a lot of contemplation when it came to choosing the design for this couple because I wanted it to really capture the natural beauty of the stunning venue where they had chosen to share their vows, and that's a TALL order (pun intended).  
Redwood Amphitheater Santa Cruz
My SIL helped me narrow the color palette to be sure it would fit in with their home decor.  Words like calm, simple and linear came to mind.  No surprise I ventured slightly out of the crayon box to make it as scrappy as I could and yet retain a cohesive feel.  Mostly low contrast I included pops to represent the way light flickers and casts shadows. 
Playing with placement on my Ghetto Design Wall 
I had seen a quilt in a book at my LQS that was similar but with much more structure (cut x amount this size etc..)  Using the improv concepts fresh in my mind from the MQG webinar with Cheryl Arkison and the Jacquie Gering workshop, I freely sliced up the arranged to my hearts content.

They unwrapped the top, posed for a sweet picture and then handed it back.  Ideally it would've been done but that wouldn't be my MO.  While they are off enjoying their honeymoon I'll be thinking of them as I finish up.  I'm probably going to "add" another 8"-10" to the bottom.  Although it's big enough for a queen bed, unlike the other quilt with its circular symmetrical design, square just feels awkward for this one.  I'm leaning towards doing an organic straight quilting to enhance the tallness of the design.

Group Photo
Had to take advantage of being all dressed up and in the same place at the same time with this smily faced group photo - precious times.

Linking up to Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts,  Can I get a Whoop WhoopLet's Bee Social and  WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  Solids are in my future too...

Amish-ish

I checked out this gem from the lending library at the guild meeting on Monday night to brush up and start the wheels turning for my entry for the upcoming exhibit at San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.  Amish: The Modern Muse

12 comments:

  1. Both quilts are lovely, and sure to be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What generous and beautiful wedding gifts. Both couples look really happy with your quilts. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to make quilts celebrating your nieces' weddings. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The symbolism in these quilts makes them so very special. How to upscale a Ghetto Design Wall: add lovely batik blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both quilts are lovely. I am sure they will treasure them. really like the colors you are using for the Redwood Grove, The design you chose is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work all round! Both quilts are absolutely lovely - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two wedding quilts - both are beautiful. Both of the designs and color choices are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both quilts are lovely but my favourite is Redwood Grove, I can see the inspiration in the design. Simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of the wedding quilts are beautiful... But I must say the Redwood improv quilt top is my fave! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh Auntie Karen, I should've peeked, but I didn't even think to do so... I am so excited to snuggle with the final product!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!