Monday, November 26, 2012

{Sew} Modern Monday, WIP and Craftsy

A few finishes - finally.  
The Flea Market Fancy - Low Volume charity quilt is all done.  This one was on my Finish It Up mosaic and I'm super happy about that.  I took the Angela Walter's FMQ Negative Space class on Craftsy which was really great.  While watching it, I was wishing I had a long arm (who doesn't- right?) The information and inspiration was still very helpful and I tried mixing a few designs, loops around the edge with a swirl scallop on the rest of the low volume areas.  
Folded and ready to go

Speaking of Craftsy... I had a chance to browse the BOM series and although it's after the fact, I'm going to check more of them out.  I find learning with video much less stressful than on paper.  Today I signed up for Designing Modern Quilts with Weeks Ringle as my free class from Sewing Summit - thank you very much!

Plan B Baby Boy Quilt

My original HST plan for a baby quilt shared here has been replaced by the one below.  It's for a friend's daughter who is having her first child and I wanted my hubby to have input. He felt the HST design that I had wasn't "baby" enough - and he has a general dislike for gray (um, I know, right?) anyway...  I think they'll like this more traditional baby boy version.

I'm pleased to have an alternative plan and will be working on piecing the backing this week. The young couple that I'm making it for were married in Hawaii so I thought the hibiscus flannel would be a nice personal touch. 

Bee Blocks and Swaps

These adorable blocks above are for Nico in F+F=AMS November. My favorite is the bottom left.   They are just like the ones I made for Starred Swoon, perfectly reasonable unless you have a Goldilocks sewing day like I did.  Once I figured out my target size for the flying geese all was good but until then what could go wrong did.  The first two below are my epic fail: too big, too small and finally Just Right.  I changed to Kona Ivory for the remaining to break the bad luck curse. 

Happy Mail brought me this wonderful Jane Market Bag from Tammy, my sewing summit secret partner.  I also heard from Whitney that the pouch I made arrived safely and she loved it, yippy.  It was really special that I got to hang out with these two wonderful ladies in Utah.
4x5 Bee Blocks Hive #7
This session of 4x5 has been awesome. Our little group was chatty, on time with top notch quality workmanship and taste.  Here are my Aqua, Navy with Gray blocks.   

My Mini

My hubby was out of town with work on my birthday but surprised me with a MacMini when he returned the next day.  I'm loving the trackpad and iPhoto. 

Temptations 

The cyber sales where crazy this year or was it that I just didn't know about them before? There are so many great blog hops popping up that I decided to start a new pin board to help keep track, so far I've got 15 minutes of Play, Giving Handmade and Deck the Halls.  

check out the Link Ups

Linking up to Megan at Canoe Ridge Creations for {Sew}Modern Monday.  Her Xand + quilt is amazing. 
I'm taking the easy way out this week by also linking up to WIP Wednesday with Lee at Freshly Pieced.  I don't want to skip like last week and I just can't pull off a new post so here's my tally:  
Finished:2
FMF Low Volume Quilt
F+F=AMSB Star blocks for Nico
Progress: 1
Baby Quilt 
New Projects:
Pin Board Blog/Shop Hops

What have you been up to? Are you gifting hand mades?

3 comments:

  1. What lovely pics to see. Glad you're having fun sewing.

    Oh, nice prezzie from the hubby.

    Hope you had a great holiday and are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your finished quilt AND the bee blocks - wow. I signed up for the negative space quilting class too - anxious to check it out. Of course I signed up right before the SS coupon came! So now to pick out another class too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you'd like the bottom left block! It's striking!

    Happy quilting!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!