Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Original Design

Goats Askew
You can read more about the creation of Goats Askew in this post .  The recently released and very popular book (for good reason!!)  The Improv Handbook For Modern Quiters by Sherri Lynn Wood aka: Daintytime is how this quilt came about.  She put a call out for testers and although mine wasn't chosen for the publication,  it was fun to give input and to be included in the Bias Strip Petal Gallery
My sense of time is not very good especially with the need to keep it a secret for so long. Fortunately the pictures in iPhoto are dated so I can tell you that from start to finish it took me 3 (crazy) weeks.  I tried to photograph steps along the way to document the journey and decisions.

I considered and abandoned the idea of using this as a background.  It felt too overpowering and didn't let the feature fabric shine.  The palette is more restricted than I typically work in an effort to broaden my approach to design.  

Took up the whole Living Room floor
 There was an awkwardness to handling the large pieces and I wished for a magical "Askew" tool like in editing programs that would tip and tilt the wedges.    The imbalance of strips weighing more heavily in color and width on one side than the one way I put my personal spin on it. 
FMQ detail
The challenge was very rewarding especially the problem solving of inset seams and the aspect of supersized improvisational designing  With endless options unexplored one day I simply must make another. 

SBAMQG Quilt Retreat cozy up the cabin

Finished size is 72"x86" Started February 23, 2014 Finished March 16, 2014.  Pieced and Quilted on my Babylock Symphony with Aurifil thread.  Winline Textile Bamboo batting.  Fabric from stash. 
Show and Tell at our MQG meeting
I've chosen to link up to the Original Design category because although the technique was from the score the final concept feels like mine - letting the fabric lead the way and the allowing the layout to find it's final destination sounds a little out there to some but not to me, especially after reading through my copy of the book and the guidance that Sherri Lynn shares. 





Be sure to check out all of this years Blogger's Quilt Festival categories and cast your vote with this link.  

Here is the list of my Previous Blogger's Quilt Festival Entries: 

Fall 2014
Look Who's Walking - Small Quilt

Spring 2014
Giant X-Plus  - Scrappy
Rip Tide - ROYGBIV

Fall 2013
Tassels - Group/Bee

Fall 2012
Old Italian Block - Scrap/ROYGBIV/Bed

Spring 2012
Catalyst (aka Mod Mosaic) - my first time to participate 

11 comments:

  1. This is an awesome quilt, Karen, and I really like how the Festival allows us to show off favorites or quilts that we can finally add more description and detail about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks intricate. I can't believe it only took 3 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design, great color combo, great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an eye-catching piece. I really love it. Super work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So amazing. I'd love to try one of these with leaves as my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! It is an interesting original design.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!