Monday, September 1, 2014

BIG, Mini and a Goal

Glam Clam Workshop Prep

Playing with Parts on the Design Wall
The Glam Clam has been on my bucket list ever since I started drooling over the ones I've seen on flickr and posted on blogs.  I'm thrilled that our SBAMQG has invited Latifa Saafir for a workshop in a few weeks.  They've booked the workspace long into the night as well so I want to come prepared and make the most of 12 hours of pure indulgence. 
Focused Scrappy - Loving my boarded stash 
She has the pattern instructions and templates for 4", 6", 8" and 12" available for free on Craftsy.  One of the things that I'm drawn to about this design is the variety of looks that it takes on depending on fabric choices and placement.  I know that statement could really apply to ANY quilt, but it's especially true for me in this one.
My Sewing Room is a HUGE Mess
I'm GOING BIG, with not only the 12" block but with a King Size.  It's all about scale and the fact that if I'm finally going to make one, I'd better get to sleep under it when I'm done!
Fussy cutting is not efficient but sometime you just got to.
My stash is - well, you know, basically bursting.  The first inspiration fabric line that I thought of was Lucky Penny and any other Alison Glass I own (love her).  Turns out the AMH Field Study I've been hoarding plays well as does Kaffe (the first designer I collected).  Because this is the time to use my large scale floral, I tossed in some Amy Butler and miscellaneous Art Gallery.   Linking up to Sunday Stash with Molli Sparkles who's having a blogiversary, congrats!

IGminiSwap

finding "My People"
Other than swapping at our MQG, I haven't done any in far too long.  It's fun finding out who's in my group and discovering new people and rediscover some old friends.  Hopefully I learned my lesson from flickr and the ridiculous juggling of over commitments when I started there and won't fall into the same.  I'm capitolaquilter on IG as well so come say hi. 

ALYOF September Goal

Redwood Grove Wedding Quilt
One of the other things that I did regularly and has recently fallen to the waist side along with swapping has been linky parties.  I miss them too!  Here's my ALYOF September goal.

Wine Gift Bag  - a Finish

Trudging along with WIPS can get depressing even when you like the projects you're working on.   This little bag was exactly the boost I needed.  Starting something new doesn't sound like a fix for the blues but this quick finish felt great.  Hubby and I went to a friend's birthday party last weekend. The woodgrain fabric lined with wine grapes from my stash was stop on. 

Linking up to Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop? and Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the whole clam shell. I have been drooling over making one for a long time. Good luck on your finish this month too. I was on a roll and hit ever month but finished my Aug project today so missed this one. I am just glad for a finish already this month now...onward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to hear & see how your clam shells come out! "Focused scrappy" -- I love it! That's my path as well, though I never had a name for it. Great pull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see your clamshells come together, with those lines and designers it will be beautiful. I'm in the mini swap too and also trying to make sure I don't over-commit, which is scary easy to do I've learned recently. Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute wine gift bag. Sometimes something small that can be completed and gifted is really rewarding and enough to get me excited about sewing again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is going to be an epic quilt! I love going big too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Glam Clam so far! I'm making one, too. Wish I could go to a workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clams look lovely! I especially like the fabrics you've picked out so far. I admire your patience for fussy cutting them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the sanity to fussy cut a few that are just too special not to. But I'm hoping that if I strategically place them it'll feel like more!

      Delete
  8. Oh my! I am going to watch this! Your fabric is gorgeous! Clamshells scare me but this is inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!