Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Rip Curl and Corduroy

Rip Curl complete by capitolaquilter
Rip Curl Complete - December ALYoF Goal
Rip Curl complete, a photo by capitolaquilter on Flickr.
A little sand and seaweed won't hurt - the bird poop on the other hand.... ha ha
headed home to toss it in the wash.

A quilt photo shoot is much more fun when the tourists are gone although I'm still a little self conscious wandering around. My iPhone battery went from 3% to 1% then shut itself off but not before I captures a few nice ones.
The back
The FMQ went pretty smoothly with a traced back swirl and random loops.  Despite the crazy Christmas crunch - I was also motivated to finally make my A Lovely Year of Finishes goal for December having rolled this particular one over from previous months.
way too much binding
The wave fabric that I was using for the binding had been cut into so I had to piece together a bunch of partial widths having no idea how many strips to make I just kept going until I ran out.  There ended up with so much extra, another quilt will surely be bound with it.

New Years Resolution Goal - All 9 are done!
I mentioned before that finishing Rip Curl was especially gratifying because it is the 9th and final top that I set out to make into a finished quilt as part of my New Year's Resolution goal posted here.

Corduroy

My latest WIP is really kind of exciting. Corduroy improv - finally.  It must be nearly 3 years since I started collecting.  I was fortunate to have a friend let me in on some tips since I'm pretty much exclusively a quilt cotton kind of gal.  The varied texture and depth has appealed to be for longer than that.  How about you - ever given it a try?
close up
linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced, Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict,  Finish It Up Friday with Amanda Jean, to the December Finish Link Up at ALYoF  and Q4FAL 2013 with Leanne at She Can Quilt.

Completed: 1
Rip Curl

New: 2
Corduroy Improv
Christmas Secret

Belated: 3
21st B'day guy quilts

In the planning and plotting stages: 2
2014 Wedding quilts

11 comments:

  1. Rip Curl is beautiful! I have only sewn corduroy with garments, never quilting. You are on to something very interesting with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Rip Curl quilt, especially the back! Good luck with the corduroy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe corduroy is the new pink? The texture of your improv must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt! lovely location for a photoshoot, wish I had that nearby! The improve corduroy quilt is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool setting for your photos! The quilt is awesome, well done! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on meeting your goal for the nine quilts. I finished lots this year, too. I also made a quilt with the same blocks as your Rip Curl. I LOVE your pieced border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for meeting your goal of finishing nine quilts in a year! Your Rip Curl is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rip curl quilt is beautiful. I love the colours and the beach!! Congratulations on finishing all your wonderful quilts. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful finish and photo shoot. And a huge congrats on accomplishing all your New Years Resolution quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful finish and SO cool you got all 9 quilts done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Rip Curl - that's one of my favourite classic blocks. And definitely congrats on getting all 9 quilts done as planned!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!